In the nation’s capital, there’s no shortage of national landmarks, the sunshine, and to add to this list – you guessed it, solar power. Boasting a thriving solar market driven by aggressive Renewable Portfolio Standard laws that have given residential and corporate solar installations a massive boost in numbers, Washington DC solar installers are among the busiest in the country.
Finding the right installer is one of the most important aspects before embarking on the path to a clean and sustainable energy investment. Here’s what Washington DC solar installers should know in order to maximize the effectiveness and fluidity of both residential and commercial projects.
Rebates and incentives
DC offers excellent opportunities to help reduce investment costs of a solar installation in the form of incentives. Your Washington DC solar installer needs to stay current on these reductions which give ordinary Americans affordable options to owning solar technology so that they can enjoy immediate electricity bill savings, no matter the size of your installation.
- Federal Solar Tax Credit: a 30% reduction applies on your upfront cost of your PV installation, allowing you to speed up your payback period of your investment. So, a solar panel system that costs $10,000, for example, deducts your tax liability by $3,000. But don’t wait too long to jump on this deal because it won’t be that big after the end of 2019.
- Net Metering: sell excess solar energy back to your utility at a profit in the form of credits and savings.
- For businesses – MACRS depreciation of solar energy property: qualifying commercial solar equipment is eligible for a cost recovery period of five years. Learn more about MACRS here.
- Solar Renewable Energy Certificates (SRECS): sell these non-tangible certificates for up to $500 per MWh in the SREC market.
Staying on top of pending and current legislation affecting solar energy
Your Washington DC solar installer must be able to make sense of current legislative policies and stay up-to-date on the rapidly evolving legal landscape of solar energy support laws.
Informing you on energy savings and warranties
Like with any wise investment, expect immediate monetary benefits for the life of your system (with a manufacturer warranty). A 5kW system would create 540 kWh per month, based on an average amount of sunlight, which will save you about $80 a month on your utility bill in addition to the tax benefits and other incentives. Going solar makes economic sense when your solar electricity costs less than the grid.
A visit to your property examines components of your roof for solar potential:
- Obstructions, orientation, and roof pitch
- Shading issues
- Measurements and solar pathfinder readings
- Prices and efficiency in different circumstances vary
We’ve only scraped the surface here. A big investment like solar energy necessitates the right Washington DC solar installer for the design, planning, and installation of your system. We’ve created this comprehensive guide to show you how you can reap significant energy savings and a passive income with solar power.
Or get in touch for a free evaluation and find out how much you can be saving from a solar installation from day one!